China People's Republic

You must apply directly to the consulate for this visa. No third party can assist.

Canadians must now apply for Chinese visas in-person only. No third party can legitimately assist with Chinese visas. Visa seekers must make an appointment to apply for a Chinese visa. Canadians are photographed and fingerprinted upon application. Canadians must apply directly to the Chinese visa centre. Apply and make your appointment here:

APPLY IN PERSON - No third party can assist you. The Chinese Government requires all Canadians to apply in person for their visas. You will be fingerprinted and photographed at the visa application office. You must apply directly and in person at the local Chinese visa office.

Canadians must make an appointment at the Chinese Visa Application Centre responsible for their place of residence in Canada. There are only five Chinese fingerprinting offices in Canada: Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal. Scroll down for office addresses. Apply and make your appointment here:


AVOID ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL TO CHINA. The Chinese government has been arresting Canadians as political leverage since December 2018 and holding them in solitary confinement without consular access. Violence against Canadians is not uncommon in China.

The Canadian Government urges you to "EXERCISE A HIGH DEGREE OF CAUTION IN CHINA DUE TO THE RISK OF ARBITRARY ENFORCEMENT OF LOCAL LAWS." According to Canadian and US diplomats speaking off the record to major newspapers and news services, the Chinese regime has been arresting Canadians to use as hostages in an attempt to force the government of Canada to release Ms Meng who is the subject of an extradition attempt by the USA. Canadians are advised to seek alternative countries/airports for travel in Asia rather than risk travel to China. Do not transit through China. Canadians can safely transit to anywhere in Asia through Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Bangkok. FURTHER WARNING: On 05 February 2019 an official of the Canadian Government who identified herself as Leah Marchuk called this office to pressure VSC into changing the wording of the warning to downplay the risks. The Liberal government is currently trying to downplay the diplomatic situation and to pressure private Canadian companies into not warning Canadians about travel risks. 

China Visa Application Centre - Ottawa
Suite 1450 - 220 Laurier Avenue West 
Ottawa ON K1P 5Z9 
Tel: 613-563-8472

China Visa Application Centre - Toronto
Suite 1501 - 393 University Avenue 
Toronto ON M5G 1E6 
Tel: 416-345-8472

China Visa Application Centre - Vancouver
Suite 250 - 999 West Broadway 
Vancouver BC V5Z 1K5 
Tel: 604-336-8866

China Visa Application Centre - Calgary
Suite 200 - 855 8th Avenue SW 
Calgary AB T2P 3P1 
Tel: 403-930-2288

China Visa Application Centre - Montreal
Suite 700 - 2000 Mansfield Street 
Montreal Quebec H3A 2Z6 
Tel: 514-680-8472


144-hour Transit Visa Exemption for Canadians entering SHANGHAI or BEIJING or TIANJIN
Canadian citizens can acquire a 144-hour visa free transit in Shanghai airports and seaports, and Beijing Capital Airport. This visa-free travel is only offered to passengers who are transiting China by air or ship on their way to another/third country (from Canada through China to another country; or from another country through China to Canada). You must fly/sail in and out of Shanghai or Beijing or Tianjin Port. You cannot go to any other city. You cannot leave Shanghai or Beijing for another point in China. You cannot use this to go from Canada to China and back to Canada. The transit must be to a third country for air travel or sea ship travel purposes. It is also valid for entry of Shanghai by fast train from Hong Kong. There are 3 requirements: 
1) You must be a Canadian citizens or from one of the approved countries in the 144-hour Transit Visa Exemption Program; 
2) You must be a Canadian national / foreign national with a valid Canadian passport / international traveling document, and air ticket for a connecting flight with confirmed date of flight and seat for a third country or region traveling within 144 hours; or the same for a ship (cruise); or the same for a non-stop Hong Kong-Shanghai rail journey; and 
3) You must be flying into and out of the Pudong or Hongqiao Airports of Shanghai, Nanjing Lukou International Airport, or Hangzhou Xiaoshan International airport; or sailing/cruising into and out of one of the seaports of Shanghai; or Beijing Capital Airport; to a third country. Or entering Shanghai by high-speed non-stop rail from Hong Kong. This includes the following entry points: Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG); Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA); Shanghai Port of International Cruise Terminal; Shanghai Wusongkou Port of International Cruise; Port of Shanghai Railway; Nanjing Lukou International Airport (NKG); Hangzhou International Airport (HGH); Beijing Capital Airport (PEK); and the Tianjin International Cruise Home Port. 
This applies to Canadians and the following nationalities: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland; Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine; United States, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile; Australia, and New Zealand; Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar. 

CANADIANS with questions about the Chinese transit visa waiver policy MUST CONTACT THEIR AIRLINE prior to travel for further details, and to register their intention to fly/transit through China without a visa. Please contact your airline.