"I have no borders"

900-275 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H9
Phone: (613) 231-7054



Do I Need a Visa to Visit the United States?

Canadian citizens using Canadian passports do not require a visa to enter the USA for tourism or business stays under six months. Canadians must use a passport to enter the USA.

Applicants needing US visas must apply IN PERSON directly through the US embassy or the nearest US consulate. Applicants must make an appointment for the interview and biometric scanning.

For U.S.A. visa forms, regulations, requirements and consular offices in Canada, please visit the United States Embassy web site.

CLICK HERE for the U.S. Embassy in Canada

CLICK HERE for the U.S. Consulate General locations in Canada

VWP: Nationals of the following countries do not need a visa to enter the USA, as they are covered by the Visa Waiver Program (VWP): Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom (but only applies for those with unrestricted right of permanent abode). However, these nationals are required to be pre-registered prior to travel with the US government through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system.

CLICK HERE to register for ESTA for US travel

STUDENTS: Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the USA. Students do need to obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 or DS-2019 you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system.

TRANSIT: The USA no longer allows transit through US airports without a visa. If you would require a visa to visit the USA, then you will require a visa to transit through a US airport.

Do not engage a lawyer to apply on your behalf.

For more information about travel conditions, please visit the Foreign Affairs Web site.