"I have no borders"

900-275 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H9
Phone: (613) 231-7054


Special Administrative Region (SAR) of Hong Kong
People's Republic of China

Do I Need a Visa to Visit Hong Kong?

Canadian citizens using Canadian passports do not require a visa to enter Hong Kong for tourism or business stays under ninety (90) days.

Nationals of the following countries or places, or holders of the special passports here listed, need a visa to enter Hong Kong, and should contact the Chinese Embassy immediately:
Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Congo DR, Congo Rep, Costa Rican Provisional Passports, "Documento De Identidad Y Viaje" Issued by Costa Rican Government, Cote D'ivoire, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Korea DPRK, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Moldova, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Special Peruvian Passports, Russia, Serbia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tongan National Passports, Tongan Protected Persons Passports, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu (with national status stated as 'I tuvalu'), Ukraine, Uruguay passports issued under Decree 289/90, Uzbekistan, Vatican Service Passports, Vietnam.

Hong Kong visas are difficult to acquire, and require several months to secure. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Chinese Embassy to start their applications several months in advance of travel.

For more information about travel conditions in Asia, please visit the Foreign Affairs Web site.