"I have no borders"

900-275 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H9
Phone: (613) 231-7054


The People's Republic of China

Do I Need a Visa to Visit China?

Canadian citizens using a Canadian passport require a visa to visit China.

Multi-Entry Visas

All Chinese visas issued to Canadians are supposed to be multi-entry visas valid for the life of the passport. This means you may get up to ten years of entries in one visa.



CHINESE PHOTO REQUIRES ARE VERY STRICT. See link below or in the forms above for all details. Photos not meeting the exact requirements will be rejected by the embassy and you will have to ship new photos. Please call before shipping if you have any questions or doubts about your photos.


Nationals of Brunei, Japan, and Singapore do not need a visa to enter China for up to 15 days.

All other nationals need a visa.

PREVIOUS PASSPORTS: If your passport was issued on or later than 1 January 2015, you must provide the original of your previous passport. If you no longer possess the old passport, you must provide a typed and signed letter explaining why you do not have the passport, and provide a list of all countries visited since 1 January 2014 in the following format: "FRANCE - Paris, June 2015, 10 days". This is mandatory.

DUAL NATIONALS AND FOREIGN BORN (including on military bases): The Chinese Embassy in Canada requires that dual nationals and those born abroad (for example on military bases) MUST provide the original of their second passport, or a signed letter attesting that they do not hold a second country's passport. Dual nationals and those born abroad MUST provide a signed letter detailing the circumstances of the original and also the most recent arrival in Canada, and which passport they used for each of those entries. The letter must detail when you became a Canadian citizen.

72-hour Transit Visa Exemption for Canadians

Canadian citizens can acquire a 72-hour visa free transit in Beijing and Shanghai airports (and others listed below) only. This does NOT apply to cruise ship passengers. The visa-free travel is only offered to passengers who are transiting China by air on their way to another/third country (from Canada through China to another country; or from another country through China to Canada). You must fly in and out of the same city. You cannot go to any other city. You cannot leave the city in which you landed. You cannot use this to go from Canada to China and back to Canada. The transit must be to a third country for air travel purposes. This 72 hour visa is available when transiting the following airports: Beijing (PEK), Chengdu (CTU), Chongqing (CKG), Dalian (DLC), Guangzhou (CAN). Guilin (KWL), Shenyang (SHE); Xiamen (XMN) and Xi'An (XIY). Wuhan (WUH), Harbin (HRB) and Kunming (KWL). There are 3 requirements:
1) You must be a Citizens from one of the 45 countries (including Canada) in the 72-hour Transit Visa Exemption Program;
2) You must be a Canadian national / foreign national with a valid Canadian passport / international traveling document, and air ticket for a connecting flight with confirmed date of flight and seat for a third country or region traveling within 72 hours; and
3) You must be flying into and out of the Capital Airport of Beijing, or Pudong or Hongqiao Airports of Shanghai, or others, (see complete list above) to a third country.
This applies to Canadians and the following nationalities: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland; Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine; United States, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile; Australia, and New Zealand; Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
The Chinese Embassy in Ottawa states "Foreigners who have confirmed onward tickets and seats on international flights and directly transit through China and stay for no more than 24 hours within the airport boundaries shall not need to apply for a transit visa".

TIBET: The Chinese Embassy in Canada does not issue a visa for tourist travel to Tibet. All applicants travelling to Tibet must contact the TAR Tourism Bureau (tel: +86-891-6834313, fax: +86-891-6834632) beforehand and provide the entry permit it issues upon application for visa, or alternatively, contact China Travel (Canada) Service (tel: 416-979-8993, fax: 416-979-8220) for this service prior to requesting a visa.

NOTICE for STUDENTS and TEACHERS and CLERGY: Teachers and students and clergy visiting China for tourism MUST provide a signed letter stating "I, (your full legal name), am a (teacher/student/priest). I am visiting China as a tourist and while in China I will obey all the Chinese laws (and will not engage in religious activity)."

For more information about travel conditions in Asia and China, please visit the Foreign Affairs Web site.